Monday, May 24, 2010


I can't believe 5 years ago today I was in the hospital giving birth to my beautiful and amazing little angel. The time has FLOWN by. I can remember all the great things she learned to do in her first few years. I don't want her to grow up, but thinking of all the amazing talents she has mastered how can one not one her to grow and learn more???

I remember the day like it was yesterday! On Monday, May 23rd I had a check-up at Dr. Schettler's office. He checked me and I still had not progressed at all. He told me he was going to go ahead and induce and went to go call the hospital to see what day I should come in. He came back in and told us to be at the hospital bright and early (6:30 am) the next morning. It was unreal! We were having a baby the next day! Chris went back to work to tie up some loose ends and I got on the phone calling everyone and letting them know that the next day was it! I got a pedicure and spent the rest of the day chilling with Chris. We went to Wings-N-More for dinner. I could not eat after midnight just in case they had to do a c-section so at about 11:30pm, I had a HUGE bowl of cereal (maybe that is why K loves cereal so much LOL).

We arrived at the hospital and they weighed me! 197 lbs!! I had joked with Dr. S and told him his goal was to get her out before I hit 200 lbs :) His first question when he came in later was "Did we make it?" I got all checked in and hooked up to the monitors. They came in and gave me pitocin to start my labor. I was great for a long time. After a few hours I was in pain and they had broken my water so I opted for some pain meds. I got stadol and finagrin through my IV - that lasted a little while and just before 3pm I had my epidural. I remember my nurse was not nice. She did not let me hug on her while I was receiving the injection, she just kind of put her hands on my shoulders. I finally got all relaxed and about 5pm I was ready to push. I pushed and pushed and pushed and every time she would come down, but she would go back up!! The monitor that they had on me was NOT matching my actual contractions so I was constantly pushing - the nurses were making me push with the monitor and my body was making me push at the actual time. It was exhausting. I ended up having an asthma attack. I don't know if you have ever had one, but when they put the oxygen mask on you it feels even more suffocating. I took it off and the yelled at me to put it back on! We compromised and I held it over my face for a little while. Still not progress of Kendall staying in place.

They tried a new trick on me. They tied a bath towel in a knot and had me hold the knot and someone else pull the end. They thought that maybe I was not able to get up and over my belly enough to push her out. The same thing was happening. She would come down but go right back up!!! Finally Dr. S came in and he had me push several times and the same deal. At about 6:24 or so I heard him yell out "Go get Dr. ?? ready." I had NO idea what name he said, but I knew it could not be good to have another doc involved. He looked me straight in the face and with his calm German self told me "This is your last push. Let's get this baby out." I agreed. I took a hug breath and he put his forearm on my tummy. I pushed and he pushed. Out came the ladybug! I felt her arm (which had been over her head and the reason she would not stay down) hit my leg.

The ONLY reason that this is funny is because earlier in the day I made a joke about her not being ready and I put my hands over my head and said "I don't want to come out yet!!!" Wow, did I ever jinx myself.

Fast forward 5 years and she is still the most stubborn person I have ever met! I know I am stubborn and so is Chris, but this girl TAKES THE CAKE!!! She entered being stubborn and she lives that way everyday!!

She is by far the best thing in my life. She is even more beautiful and smart than I could have ever imagined. She is very loving and loves to hug and love on Chris and I every day. We get SO many hugs and kisses. She knows what she wants and is not afraid of standing her ground to get it. Sometimes this causes major drama at home because as you know, I am the same way and we butt heads. I can only imagine how much we will fight in the teen years because of her little attitude and my unwillingness to deal with it.

She has taught me so much about life and love and being a good person. I can't imagine life without her. I love to watch her sleep and we love to cuddle. She still sleeps with us, but neither one of us can bear to let her go. Just before bedtime and mornings are so wonderful. We have the best talks. I know one day it will have to end, but we are cherishing it while we can.

She is SO ready for Kindergarten. We however are not :) I know she has to go and I pray that we are teaching when it happens, but if not we will do the best we can. She is excited to get to take a backpack to school every day. She asked me yesterday if she could bring snacks to Kindergarten and did they have a movie room there. Her little brain works in magical ways and sometimes I still wonder if she was reincarnated. She is such an old soul.

I love that little ladybug to the moon and back and every day that she grows, that love grows stronger.

Remember, LOVE is all you need!!!!

:) Niki

No comments:

Post a Comment